With the annual D23 (Disney’s official fan club) expo 2017 underway this weekend in Anaheim, CA. it is that time of year that Disney usually has some big projects to announce to the public. Today was defiantly that day! The Walt Disney Resorts and Parks panel presentation was this afternoon from 3:00-4:30 pm. Here is a compilation of the Disney confirmed announcements from today’s events categorized by park.
- TRON Lightcycle Power Run will be coming to a “new” space and not replacing the Tomorrowland Speedway as originally speculated. It will occupy an area near Space Mountain which had originally been reserved for backstage purposes. TRON is coaster-style attraction where the rider boards a two-wheeled Lightcycle and speeds reach an upwards of 60 miles per hour.
- A theater is being added to Main Street for live entertainment. The buildings appearance will be built to resemble the Iconic Willis Theater from the 1920’s in Kansas City.
Walt Disney World Resort Property:
- An “Uber like” transportation will now be offered to transport guests around the Walt Disney Resort Property. The vehicles will be themed to Minnie Mouse.
- Disney Skyliner will utilize gondolas that are themed after our beloved Disney characters. The Disney Skyliner will transport guests from AOA (Art of Animation), Pop Century, and Caribbean Beach resorts and other locations to Disney’s Hollywood Studios and the International Gateway entrance at Epcot.
- Star Wars-themed resort announced to be coming to the Walt Disney Resort. From the second you arrive, you will be totally immersed into a Star Wars story.
- Disney Riviera Resort will be the 15th Disney Vacation Club Property and is being built near EPCOT.
- A Ratatouille– inspired attraction will be coming to France Pavillon in the World Showcase. This attraction is going to be similar to the one that opened in 2014 at Disneyland Paris.
- Guardian’s of the Galaxy themed attraction will be replacing the current Universe of Energy attraction, which will close August 13th, 2017.
- A new Green Mission at Mission: SPACE will allow riders to soar over Earth.
- A brand new Space themed restaurant being added adjacent to the Mission: SPACE ride that will allow you to dine high above the Earth with some amazing views.
- Toy Story land is set to open in Summer of 2018.
- The official name that has been given to the originally know “Star Wars Land” is Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. This land will open in 2019.
- The Great Movie Ride will be replaced with the first Mickey themed ride in history. Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway will allow guests to allow guest to step into a Mickey Mouse cartoon in this exciting new attraction. This new ride is said to have more hidden Mickey’s than any attraction anywhere.
Disney Cruise Line:
- Two new ships are currently under construction for the Disney Cruise Line and it has just been announced that there is now a third planned as well. This will bring the Disney Cruise Line fleet to a total of seven ships.
It is going to be an exciting next couple of years here at the Walt Disney Resort. Change is unfortunately inevitable and we must accept it. It will be sad to see some of these attractions leaving to make room for the new ones but you have to give a little to get a little as I say lol. Well my friends, that about wraps up the D23 expo announcements for this year so until next time, have a magical day. ✨